A knife used at meals, especially for eating the main course.
- ‘He fetched a table knife from the kitchen, noting that the kettle was now boiling nicely.’
- ‘Lots of table knives or spatulas will do the trick.’
- ‘When Don said this he picked up his table knife and made a thrusting motion with it.’
- ‘A cookie-decorating party goes a little smoother if you use small, inexpensive cheese spreaders, instead of table knives, to spread frosting on the baked cookies.’
- ‘Except for folding types and some individual fish knives, table knives had always had handles that were shorter than, or of equal length to, their blades.’