Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of biology that deals with classification and nomenclature; taxonomy.
- ‘The two main methods for developing phylogenies in palaeontology are evolutionary systematics and phylogenetic systematics or cladism.’
- ‘These surveys have addressed problems in population genetics, systematics, ecology, and conservation biology.’
- ‘Therefore it was important to clarify the theoretical foundations of both phylogeny and systematics.’
- ‘Activity at the intersection of phylogenetic systematics and developmental biology has shifted over the years.’
- ‘There he got his first taste of applying the tools of molecular biology to systematics and phylogenetic research.’
- ‘The question remains, however, whether expertise in taxonomy and biological systematics will be available for the long term.’
- ‘Although developed primarily for ecological applications, some of its component programs are useful in systematics and biogeography.’
- ‘Mike used three examples of a correction of paleontology by molecular systematics and vice versa to show that both disciplines need each other.’
- ‘Among these, we will take up the Cambrian explosion and its relation to paleontology and systematics.’
- ‘Over the past ten years, cladistics and molecular systematics have begun to be applied to solve problems of bivalve evolutionary biology.’
- ‘Although diverse in scope, this volume remains focused on a variety of complicated topics related to morphological systematics.’
- ‘More detailed studies of the systematics and evolution are currently in progress for selected taxa.’
- ‘Section two deals with systematics, how dinosaurs are grouped into larger categories, and how those groups are related to each other.’
- ‘Mathematically trained, he was interested both in systematics and biometry.’
- ‘Explicit, universal meanings are critical if paleontology is to play a central role in systematics and evolutionary biology.’
- ‘All of them are primarily papers about systematics and taxonomy.’
- ‘Just like phenetic systematics, cladistics takes advantage of the availability of computer software to analyze large data sets.’
- ‘The older dinosaur book would largely end after chapter one - systematics and classification.’
- ‘This chapter alone makes the book an excellent resource for any course in phylogenetic systematics.’
- ‘Thus, in a tangible and pragmatic sense, systematics is the framework for all comparative biology.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.