[mass noun] A treatment for phobias in which the patient is exposed to progressively more anxiety-provoking stimuli and taught relaxation techniques.
- ‘The present study was a first attempt to examine the use of humor in systematic desensitization.’
- ‘The technique is quite similar to systematic desensitization in behavior therapy.’
- ‘Therefore, therapy of the couple dances must provide systematic desensitization by blocking the collusive dance and helping partners experience that their specific anxieties about intimacy do not happen.’
- ‘Behavior treatments include systematic desensitization, relaxation training, emotive imagery, contingency management, and social skills training.’
- ‘Treatments effective in alleviating math anxiety include systematic desensitization and relaxation.’