Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A laxative syrup made from dried figs, typically with senna and carminatives.
- ‘Well, actually, I've never had either, but my mum used to give me syrup of figs when I was wee and I liked it.’
- ‘Slices of apple, raisins, or syrup of figs can all be useful in treating constipation.’
- ‘They may not be exactly in pristine condition - one is a bit bruised and scuffed, while the other has an intermittent leak - but they will work more quickly to shift those unwanted pounds than an entire vat-full of syrup of figs.’
- ‘My grandad gave me a spoonful of California syrup of figs every morning.’
- ‘I found your web site by seeking information about syrup of figs because I found it requested in a letter that my great-grandmother had written in April 1894 to her aunt.’
- ‘What was that stuff, syrup of figs?’
- ‘For mild cases a little syrup of figs can be given.’
- ‘California syrup of figs has a delicious summer fruit flavour and is specially formulated for children to help maintain regularity.’
- ‘She stated the ingredients were syrup of figs and extract of prunes.’
- ‘When they do manage to persuade me that despite no other symptoms than ‘aches’, they really are ill and get to stay off, they have to stay in bed, even if they miraculously feel better by about 10 am, and they also have to have syrup of figs if they've got tummy ache.’
- ‘Eat the whole tin of prunes or the directed dose of syrup of figs- you will soon go but it may be painful as it's been so long.’
- ‘He was known for dishing out malt to those whose parents thought that it boosted their boy's health, and for going around in the evenings administering syrup of figs to those boys who hadn't ‘taken a number’ that day.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.