Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A laxative syrup made from dried figs, typically with senna and carminatives.
- ‘California syrup of figs has a delicious summer fruit flavour and is specially formulated for children to help maintain regularity.’
- ‘For mild cases a little syrup of figs can be given.’
- ‘She stated the ingredients were syrup of figs and extract of prunes.’
- ‘My grandad gave me a spoonful of California syrup of figs every morning.’
- ‘What was that stuff, syrup of figs?’
- ‘Eat the whole tin of prunes or the directed dose of syrup of figs- you will soon go but it may be painful as it's been so long.’
- ‘Slices of apple, raisins, or syrup of figs can all be useful in treating constipation.’
- ‘They may not be exactly in pristine condition - one is a bit bruised and scuffed, while the other has an intermittent leak - but they will work more quickly to shift those unwanted pounds than an entire vat-full of syrup of figs.’
- ‘He was known for dishing out malt to those whose parents thought that it boosted their boy's health, and for going around in the evenings administering syrup of figs to those boys who hadn't ‘taken a number’ that day.’
- ‘I found your web site by seeking information about syrup of figs because I found it requested in a letter that my great-grandmother had written in April 1894 to her aunt.’
- ‘When they do manage to persuade me that despite no other symptoms than ‘aches’, they really are ill and get to stay off, they have to stay in bed, even if they miraculously feel better by about 10 am, and they also have to have syrup of figs if they've got tummy ache.’
- ‘Well, actually, I've never had either, but my mum used to give me syrup of figs when I was wee and I liked it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.