One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a set of type specimens of equal status, upon which the description and name of a new species is based.Compare with holotype
- ‘A syntype arises when the original author cited more than one specimen, but either designated none, or more than one, as type; the term is lectosyntype when a syntype is later designated as type.’
- ‘Today's taxonomists have to make a decision as to which of the two specimens found among the syntypes should keep the original name and which gets a ‘new’ species name.’
- ‘As noted above, it closely resembles the syntype pygidium of E. acadicus, and is tentatively assigned to that species.’
- ‘One of the syntypes of Archidemsus macnicoli was found at an unknown site in Tayside and the other was found in the Carmyllie quarry complex near Arbroath.’
- ‘Of the syntypes on which he based the species, only two are currently known to be extant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.