One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.
- ‘There are synthesizers that use frequency modulation and other algorithms to generate extraordinarily rich and complex sounds.’
- ‘Add in an eclectic series of percussion sounds that can be found on your basic synthesizer and you've got a record that should at least be unusual.’
- ‘One lad kneels over an old synthesiser frequently swigging from a bottle of white cider.’
- ‘Perversely, the massed violins, violas and cellos can sometimes sound uncannily like a lone synthesiser.’
- ‘The instruments and sounds may have changed but it still sounds like a hardcore band this time playing about with synthesisers instead of guitars.’
- ‘Filling in their sound with a bevy of horns, keyboards and synthesizers, the explosive troupe leaves a larger than life impression on their audiences.’
- ‘They got their hands on drum machines, keyboards, synthesizers and began experimenting.’
- ‘Strange effects are piled on, and the song builds to a powerful climax of heavily distorted guitars and bleeping synthesizers.’
- ‘You've got a synthesizer that can basically replicate every single sound in the world.’
- ‘Barely audible vocal tracks are buried beneath drum machine beats and bubbly synthesizers.’
- ‘These they combined with home-made synthesizers and early sampling devices to create a sound that could be described, in all fairness, as challenging.’
- ‘It has never been successfully reproduced by an electronic synthesizer because it is more that just a sound… it is the soul itself.’
- ‘Orchestral synthesizers have acquired a bad rap because of their historically dubious use as substitutes for ‘real’ instruments.’
- ‘My main instrument is the guitar, although I also use keyboards, synthesisers, and sequencers in my musical meanderings.’
- ‘Tinkling piano and strings are overlaid with vernacular vocals, ethnic drums and flutes with synthesizers.’
- ‘Machines and electronic devices such as synthesisers, drum machines and feeders have made musicians idle.’
- ‘It was rhythm units, synthesizers, two bass players, John on guitar, and a clarinet and vocals.’
- ‘Kean's quest began when he worked as a musician, and had many requests for classic rock tunes that used synthesizers and electronic instruments.’
- ‘The music is played on a mix of traditional drums and modern instruments such as electric guitars and synthesizers.’
- ‘Why can the same not be true of the synthesizer and the reuse of the same sounds over and over in different contexts?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.