often with modifier An enzyme which catalyses the linking together of two molecules, especially without the direct involvement of ATP.‘nitric oxide synthases’Compare with ligase
- ‘In contrast to the homotrimeric solution state of native riboflavin synthase, the enzyme was found to be monomeric in the crystal structure.’
- ‘Production was not abrogated by inhibitors of cyclooxygenases, xanthine oxidase, nitric oxide synthases, and mitochondrial enzymes.’
- ‘Fluorouracil induces apoptosis by inhibition of the enzyme thymidylate synthase during DNA replication.’
- ‘This enzyme is glycogen synthase, which helps remove glucose from the blood and store it as glycogen.’
- ‘This is plausible because the enzyme citrate synthase is localized in the mitochondrial matrix.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.