One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of pop music featuring heavy use of synthesizers and other electronic instruments, originating in the early 1980s.
- ‘Kraftwerk might have seen their music influencing genres from early synth-pop to hip-hop and today's electronica, but it transpires that they are still very much in touch with modern electronic music as a whole.’
- ‘The new goth scene involves industrial, electronic body music, and synth-pop.’
- ‘Friends: believe me when I say that the combination between the two disparate elements - unbearably goofy synth-pop and sub-par commentary on various parties' political shortcomings - is indeed a deadly one.’
- ‘It was the time when British synth-pop was directly influencing early New York hip-hop, and there was a feeling of ‘anything goes’ in dance music.’
- ‘The album is distinguished by its stylistic breadth - synth-pop, techno, house, ambient, and more - and its terrific flow.’
- ‘‘Vanishing Point’ thrusts Technique into overdrive, with its epic production and searching lyrics - this is prog rock crossed with synth-pop.’
- ‘And this exposure may not stop there as this new LP, ‘Plastique Nouveau’, is a perfect mix of synth-pop and hard-edged techno.’
- ‘But they do serve some purpose as a sort of critical shorthand - I tell you a band is new-wave synth-pop, and your brain instantly dials up an approximate framework for the music at hand.’
- ‘The remainder lies somewhere between empty arpeggiated dance grooves and by-the-numbers synth-pop.’
- ‘But at their most accessible, they merged an angular aesthetic with liquid synth-pop that paved the way for Detroit techno and electro.’
- ‘On Casting Shadows, Wolfsheim's industrial-tinged synth-pop moves closer to gothic chill-out music than ever before.’
- ‘And anyway, isn't all this synth-pop just Bowie's late - 70's work watered down, glossed up, and told to act like a Top 40 hit?’
- ‘A misguided foray into middle-eastern politics, it may well be their lyrical nadir, their trademark synth-pop swamped in a hideous 80s production.’
- ‘Where synth-pop traditionally makes a virtue of treble and plasticity, the Killers flesh out their songs with big rock dynamics and - on ‘All These Things That I've Done’ - a gospel choir.’
- ‘All through his years in aggressive psychedelia, catchy synth-pop, and his new relaxed style, his solo shows have always won him the most converts.’
- ‘As a result he recruited a band to record this debut album, and his synth-pop, once rather bloodless, became more visceral with the addition of guitar and drums.’
- ‘Many in the press have lauded Caribou's sound experiments as the future of electronic music, but who knew that the future of synth-pop also had a place in Hamilton with the Junior Boys?’
- ‘Beginning their musical references around 1977, Metro Area combine heavy doses of disco, dollops of funk, a dash of new wave and synth-pop, and then remove just about everything but each track's most essential elements.’
- ‘This song has been on repeat play for the past two mornings - a glorious slice of late 80s bombastic synth-pop, featuring everything except the kitchen sink thrown on to multiple sequencers.’
- ‘Using retro elements twelve years younger than what the band was previously associated with, synth-pop and new wave fundamentals liven Of Montreal's unique pop sensibility without forcing an awkward hybrid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.