Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for synthesizer
- ‘The dependence on drum machines and synths unfortunately date and trap most of the music in the late 80s.’
- ‘‘Deja Vu’ uses only synths as accompaniment, with Queen's lower range being used to greater effect.’
- ‘This applies to the stage also - in the moments that Dustin is doing vocals and synths, the rhythms that you hear are recordings of him playing drums.’
- ‘Did we mention that fans of analogue synths will also be impressed?’
- ‘The melodies are strong throughout and there's a nice mix of guitars and synths, of rock and electronica.’
- ‘The swirling synths on the next track ‘Rodd’ slip in to show the depth of the sea as we slowly approach the ocean floor.’
- ‘Atmospheric synths gradually enter the mix, only to give way to a piano interlude that lays the groundwork for the last few verses.’
- ‘You never really know where the heavily treated guitars end and the synths start.’
- ‘Guitars are stripped clean and forced to interact on equal footing with strings, pianos, synths, even brass.’
- ‘The same is true for most classic synths (and usually, older equals more expensive).’
- ‘Even new wave synths appear halfway through a song in this organized storm of raw, chunky bass, turbine engine guitars and industrial grime.’
- ‘Largely absent are the spacey Grandaddy synths that occasionally lent the band's debut a pleasant jolt of modernity.’
- ‘Initially, there are no drones at all, and the first one to enter is provided not by big, gauzy, echoing synths, but an organ.’
- ‘For example, you could have a suite of analog drum synths controlled by a sequencer.’
- ‘I'm stammering around my room in a daze, those sickening high frequency synths still slicing into me like daggers.’
- ‘The drums and synths just don't get any louder than this, folks!’
- ‘He is great with musical instruments too, adept at playing the synth and the tabla.’
- ‘The thing that really stands out, is their use of classic synths and keyboards, which are wonderfully matched up to the two guitars and bass.’
- ‘He seizes every strain of pop music and every instrument he can think of, wrapping them in layers of synths and drum programming.’
- ‘To the rescue comes the a massive refrain - synths blaring, vocals straining, and drums raising Cain.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.