One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of genes) occurring on the same chromosome.‘syntenic sequences’
- ‘However, the vast majority of duplicated genes are not clustered tandemly, but instead are dispersed in syntenic regions on different chromosomes, most likely as a result of genome-wide duplications and rearrangements.’
- ‘A way to diagram this is to color code all the syntenic regions from each chromosome in one organism, and see how those regions are distributed in a second organism.’
- ‘Conserved linkage occurs when two or more homologous genes are syntenic and are in the same order on the chromosome in two or more species.’
- ‘Consider the ancestral genome with all of its chromosomes concatenated and with the ancestral genes blocked by their syntenic groups that will be conserved between the two daughter species.’
- ‘The syntenic genes are displayed as black boxes and linked by lines.’
1970s: from syn- ‘together’ + Greek tainia ‘band, ribbon’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.