One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘On a comparison of Martin's poems and the originals I would say that he favoured a restrained and, where possible, syntactically faithful style of translation, with some exceptions.’
- ‘The claim goes roughly as follows: collective nouns are syntactically singular but semantically (or ‘notionally’ in this literature) plural.’
- ‘In the context of disjunctive poems and syntactically difficult passages, this relative clarity allows us to relax, even as these stories distress us.’
- ‘Well, there are no syntactically incoherent sentences, anyhow.’
- ‘The result is more fluent prosodically, though incoherent syntactically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.