One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a type of joint which is surrounded by a thick flexible membrane forming a sac into which is secreted a viscous fluid that lubricates the joint.‘synovial fluid’
- ‘The elbow joint is a synovial hinge joint limited to flexion and extension.’
- ‘The zygapophyseal joints are synovial joints between the articular processes.’
- ‘Synovial membranes lining the inside of the joint produce synovial fluid that provides nutrition to articular cartilage.’
- ‘Its tendon passes laterally through the same osteofibrous canal in the same synovial sheath as extensor digitorum longus and terminates on the fifth metatarsal.’
- ‘Theories include vascular insufficiency or micro-fractures of the subchondral plate, with synovial fluid being forced from the synovial space into the bone.’
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin synovia, probably formed arbitrarily by Paracelsus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.