Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or constituted as a synod.‘synodical government’
- ‘Purely spiritual episcopacy, synodical government, and the sending of missionary bishops lead North American contributions to Anglican life.’
- ‘Ending ‘selective togetherness’ will cause even greater things to begin happening at the congregational, synodical and churchwide levels that will extend into the world.’
- ‘Schleiermacher was also involved at the synodical level; in 1817, at the time of the king's push for a union of Lutheran and Reformed churches, Schleiermacher was the Presiding Officer of the Synod of Berlin.’
- ‘The support for use of the original rhythmic forms of the chorale melodies actually cut across synodical lines and was the overwhelming, although not always the unanimous, choice of the music committee.’
- ‘The church in the United States was directly influential upon the synodical structure of the churches in Australia, Canada and Capetown, and New Zealand.’
- ‘The closest cohesion in this will be reached through a synodical unity of spirit and a striving for consensus.’
- ‘We've had our reports, commissions, conferences, seminars, missions, synodical reviews, liturgical reforms - the lot.’
- ‘It is a rich resource for discussion and reflections in congregational, synodical, and other pedagogical institutions where faith perspectives are taken seriously into account.’
- ‘More than one third of local synodical assemblies passed resolutions supporting a favorable change in policy.’
- ‘It had to develop the machinery of synodical self-government.’
- ‘With newness came new headquarters, new synodical geographies, untested leadership, loss of memory in the church-wide organization, and other hurdles.’
- ‘Open to all parishioners, this annual meeting is the local level of the exercise of synodical government within the Church of Ireland.’
- ‘If this new consciousness is taken seriously, it has to lead to the establishment of inter-church organs for synodical and ecumenical discussion and consultation.’
- ‘Establish a policy for synodical oversight of ELCA ministry rosters.’
- ‘Mission support is provided by congregations for both synodical and churchwide ministries.’
- ‘Without joint synodical consideration, individual churches would decide for themselves in such a case what is appropriate or not.’
- ‘He assumed that on African church affairs the African bishops could give an independent synodical judgement; but they were glad when Roman authority reinforced their verdict.’
- ‘The Church sleeps on… In spite of constant synodical resolutions and episcopal pronouncements, the Church as a whole does not care.’
2Astronomyanother term for synodic
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.