One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time between successive conjunctions of a planet with the sun.‘the synodic period of Venus’
- ‘The synodic period of 780 days = 10 x 78, the long period of 702 days = 9 x 78, and the short period of about 543 days is close to 7 x 78.’
- ‘The synodic period derives from the sidereal periods of Earth and Venus interacting, as 1/224-1/365 = 1/584 days, where 224 days is Venus's sidereal period.’
- ‘The Mayan astronomers calculated its synodic period (after which it has returned to the same position) as 584 days.’
- ‘It is interesting to note that Venus is also closely synchronized to this 8 year period, completing five synodic periods of 584 days.’
- ‘Jupiter's synodic period brings it into conjunction with the sun every 398 days and 88 minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.