Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time between successive conjunctions of a planet with the sun.‘the synodic period of Venus’
- ‘The synodic period derives from the sidereal periods of Earth and Venus interacting, as 1/224-1/365 = 1/584 days, where 224 days is Venus's sidereal period.’
- ‘The Mayan astronomers calculated its synodic period (after which it has returned to the same position) as 584 days.’
- ‘Jupiter's synodic period brings it into conjunction with the sun every 398 days and 88 minutes.’
- ‘It is interesting to note that Venus is also closely synchronized to this 8 year period, completing five synodic periods of 584 days.’
- ‘The synodic period of 780 days = 10 x 78, the long period of 702 days = 9 x 78, and the short period of about 543 days is close to 7 x 78.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.