Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a polymer or polymeric structure) in which the repeating units have alternating stereochemical configurations.
- ‘It should also be mentioned that syndiotactic polypropylene is also suitable for recycled uses because it is not cross-linked.’
- ‘In a syndiotactic macromolecule, the configurational repeating unit consists of two configurational base units that are enantiomeric.’
- ‘Depending on the location of the side groups and the nature of the starting monomers, linear polymers can have various structural isomers denoted as isotactic, syndiotactic, or atactic.’
- ‘The diffusional behavior of helium and carbon dioxide in crystalline syndiotactic polystyrene has been studied by means of molecular simulation.’
- ‘This specification covers syndiotactic polystyrene materials including homopolymer, copolymers, blends, and impact modified, suitable for molding and extrusion.’
1950s: from Greek sunduo ‘two together’ + taktos ‘arranged’ + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.