One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclotron able to achieve higher energies by decreasing the frequency of the accelerating electric field as the particles increase in energy and mass.
- ‘Once the Chicago synchrocyclotron began operating routinely, Fermi returned to experimentation.’
- ‘The steel cylinder in front of him holds a document to be laid in the concrete of the synchrocyclotron building.’
- ‘The synchrocyclotron is now an important tool for proton therapy and proton irradiation projects.’
- ‘Five years later, twelve nations ratified the CERN convention and began building the laboratory, and the first machine, the synchrocyclotron, was switched on in 1957.’
- ‘Those machines were known as frequency modulated cyclotrons, synchrocyclotrons, or, in the Soviet Union, phasotrons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.