Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cyclotron able to achieve higher energies by decreasing the frequency of the accelerating electric field as the particles increase in energy and mass.
- ‘Five years later, twelve nations ratified the CERN convention and began building the laboratory, and the first machine, the synchrocyclotron, was switched on in 1957.’
- ‘Those machines were known as frequency modulated cyclotrons, synchrocyclotrons, or, in the Soviet Union, phasotrons.’
- ‘Once the Chicago synchrocyclotron began operating routinely, Fermi returned to experimentation.’
- ‘The steel cylinder in front of him holds a document to be laid in the concrete of the synchrocyclotron building.’
- ‘The synchrocyclotron is now an important tool for proton therapy and proton irradiation projects.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.