Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ladder-like series of parallel threads visible in electron microscopy adjacent to and coaxial with pairing chromosomes in meiosis.
- ‘The nucleus reorganizes during this time, as sister chromosomes pair and the synaptonemal complex forms.’
- ‘The early gene family encodes factors required for meiotic DNA replication, chromosome pairing, synaptonemal complex formation, and meiotic recombination.’
- ‘The synaptonemal complex is present at this stage, and meiotic recombination is completed within this context.’
- ‘Despite no or reduced exchange, both mutant alleles have normal synaptonemal complex.’
- ‘In the absence of recombination, it has been suggested that the synaptonemal complex may assume this role in some organisms.’
1950s: from synapto- (combining form of synapsis) + Greek nēma thread + -al.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.