One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fusion of chromosome pairs at the start of meiosis.
- ‘These findings suggest that the extensive protein modification that occurs to prepare chromosomes for synapsis and recombination may provide at least a partial mechanism by which rereplication is blocked.’
- ‘It was proposed that these sites mediated the initial interactions between homologous chromosomes leading to synapsis and recombination.’
- ‘It has long been thought that the grouping of telomeres is important for chromosome pairing and subsequent synapsis.’
- ‘Several of these articles dealt with mutants affecting synapsis, meiosis, or disjunction.’
- ‘Some chromosomes may be unable to re-establish homologous synapsis after the insertion.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek sunapsis ‘connection, junction’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.