Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A composer of symphonies.
- ‘I hear in Gerber's music a little bit of Bartók, some Stravinsky, Ravel, Sibelius, and English symphonists as well as movie music, pop jazz, folk song and dance, and even kid song.’
- ‘But it wasn't pastiche; he was working in the style of mid-late 20th century tonal symphonists, if such a style had really existed.’
- ‘At one point in his career, many considered Harris the really great American symphonist.’
- ‘In Haydn's time symphonists favoured D and B flat major.’
- ‘When the disc went platinum everyone lost out but consoled themselves by knowing that they had done the impossible - getting a living symphonist to outsell the leading pop stars.’
- ‘Havergal Brian even today isn't exactly a household name, although he's one of the outstanding symphonists of the last century.’
- ‘The overall effect of these works is that Tippett was a symphonist of great technical skill and expressive ability.’
- ‘The death of Alfred Schnittke in 1998 robbed the world of one of its most distinctive symphonists.’
- ‘In an uncanny way, he could manage to portray the deeply spiritual side of the symphonist with the craggy, almost brusque facet of the countryman.’
- ‘It was essentially to hone his skills as a symphonist and develop his career as a composer that Bruckner had moved to Vienna, one of the musical capitals of the world.’
- ‘Beethoven, taken as a symphonist, is the most inspired among composers, and the one who composes best for the orchestra.’
- ‘He had an enviable reputation, once upon a time, as a symphonist of real individuality, like Simpson today.’
- ‘Not many symphonists were also great song writers, and not many song writers are great symphonists.’
- ‘Two other generally-known symphonists to be found here are Dittersdorf and Stamitz.’
- ‘When I was young, the two great Romantic symphonists were probably Beethoven and Brahms.’
- ‘Vaughan Williams must be ranked among the finest symphonists of the 20th century.’
- ‘Not many concert pianists can quote a major symphonist, let alone relate him to their world.’
- ‘Now he is seen as maybe the greatest symphonist of the 20th century.’
- ‘He longs to be a true symphonist, but sets his private visions to music.’
- ‘I think it indicates Harris's great sense of musical progress, essential for a symphonist.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.