One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pleasant-sounding; harmonious.‘a symphonious name’
tuneful, melodious, melodic, sweet-sounding, pleasant-sounding, sweet-toned, mellifluous, dulcet, lyricalView synonyms
- ‘The noises of the city, voices, bells and marching feet, fell together in my ears like a symphonious orchestra.’
- ‘What is finer than a symphonious frog-pond?’
- ‘Every peak and promontory shall catch up the symphonious echoes.’
- ‘Hark I the symphonious strains of music swell.’
- ‘Even if symphonious psalm-singing existed in the early Church, which we should like to see clearly made out, it was very soon merged in the antiphonal.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin symphonia ‘symphony’ + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.