One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a person) agreeably in tune with another's personality or mood.‘he is sympathique to women’
- ‘Davis's oration flopped because it revealed the man. He is not sympathique.’
- ‘Grunberg impressed one as dour but still sympathique.’
- ‘He is a good communicator, he is sympathique, he is a well-loved champion.’
- 1.1 (of a place) pleasantly and comfortably appropriate to one's tastes or inclinations.‘the most important quality of a restaurant is a sympathique atmosphere’
endearing, adorable, lovable, appealing, engaging, charming, enchanting, captivating, winsome, winning, attractive, lovely, nice, pleasant, delightful, angelic, sweet, darlingView synonyms
- ‘The neighborhood is very sympathique. I can walk to the Place des Vosges, the cinema or opera at the Bastille.’
- ‘"The town is sympathique anyway," said the girl in the tourist office.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.