One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The surgical cutting of a sympathetic nerve or removal of a ganglion to relieve a condition affected by its stimulation.
- ‘An endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy can be performed, in which the some of the nerves that cause the facial blood vessels to widen are cut.’
- ‘In 1994, because of better anesthetic and surgical techniques, bilateral sympathectomies were performed, however, the patient was still admitted for 2-3 days.’
- ‘During an endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy, a small clip is surgically attached to the sweatgland nerves to restrict the flood waters.’
- ‘For very resistant and distressing cases, where all other treatments fail, a surgical procedure called thoracoscopic sympathectomy is available.’
- ‘Some authors advocate using permanent sympathectomy when the sympathetic nerve blocks no longer prove effective.’
- ‘Since 1997, we have been performing bilateral thoracoscopic sympathectomy as outpatient procedures.’
- ‘The precision of surgical sympathectomy is important - it must completely denervate the appropriate limb to be effective.’
- ‘Physicians can inject neurolytic chemicals via percutaneous injection and can perform surgical sympathectomy using an endoscope or through a larger incision site.’
- ‘More aggressive approaches include sympathetic blocks and surgical sympathectomy.’
- ‘Before 1953, procedures such as stellate ganglion block, cervical sympathectomy, thrombectomy of occluded carotid arteries, and carotid bifurcation ligation, were used.’
- ‘If the patient received pain relief after the 12-block series but the pain recurs after a short period of time, surgical sympathectomy (as discussed later) is indicated.’
- ‘If opiate analgesia remains inadequate, then lumbar sympathectomy (surgical or chemical) or spinal cord stimulation may help.’
- ‘For the most severe cases, there's a surgical procedure called thorasocopic sympathectomy: A small incision is made in the armpit, and the nerve that controls sweating is cut.’
- ‘Nurses in the ambulatory surgery department admitted Mr R for a bilateral thoracoscopic sympathectomy without complications.’
- ‘As sweating is mediated through the sympathetic nervous system, selective sympathectomy appears to be the most effective method to permanently rid patients of palmar hyperhidrosis.’
- ‘Patients were excluded from the study if they had a recent myocardial infarction, major hemorrhage or lumbar sympathectomy, or had conditions or were taking medications that could interfere with the study.’
- ‘This is called an endoscopic transthoracic sympathectomy, and is done under a general anaesthetic.’
- ‘In severe cases, a surgical treatment called sympathectomy can be performed.’
- ‘If the syndrome is recognised and treated early then many patients gain prolonged relief from drugs or chemical or surgical sympathectomy.’
- ‘Other treatments, such as physiotherapy, biofeedback and surgical sympathectomy, were noted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.