Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The absence or reduction of manifest symmetry in a situation despite its presence in the laws of nature underlying it:[as modifier] ‘symmetry-breaking mechanisms’
- ‘In all experiments, symmetry breaking occurs spontaneously and 100% of the beads generate a comet.’
- ‘A process called spontaneous symmetry breaking will ruin the delicate state required for quantum computing.’
- ‘Although we do not yet understand the complete mechanism, it should be noted that symmetry breaking also occurs at the kinked part in a wide tube.’
- ‘The direction of the grain in the Higgs field is determined by a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking.’
- ‘Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a powerful phenomenon that is tremendously important in understanding unified particle theories in general.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.