Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Made up of exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis; showing symmetry.‘the shape of a hill, smooth and symmetrical’
well balanced, balanced, well proportioned, proportional, in proportion, regular, even, harmoniousregular, uniform, consistentView synonyms
- ‘Judges described it as symmetrical with plenty of substance in the flower.’
- ‘Everything is the same; it's perfectly symmetrical in every direction.’
- ‘Ever wondered why the apples and tomatoes in your supermarket are so symmetrical, so uniform in colour and texture?’
- ‘The sum of a figure and its centrally symmetrical image has central symmetry.’
- ‘Even today its streets run in symmetrical lines and neat intersections.’
- ‘A bony ridge may form over the fused suture and the ears may not be symmetrical (not at equal heights on each side).’
- ‘Moreover, a curve of constant width need not be symmetrical or even consist of circular arcs.’
- ‘The first cleavage usually passes through the midline, dividing the egg into two initially symmetrical halves.’
- ‘Note that each shell valve is symmetrical about the midline, but the two shell valves are often unequal in size.’
- ‘The hair was parted with geometrical accuracy as though drawn with compasses, and fell in two symmetrical, wavy lines.’
- ‘The US researchers also found that women were more likely to be tempted into infidelity by men with symmetrical features.’
- ‘Well, humans do like symmetry and pattern, and math tends to make symmetrical, patterned images.’
- ‘In a perfectly symmetrical face, all midpoints will fall on the vertical midline.’
- ‘Trees, shrubs and long grass with a symmetrical spiderweb of cobblestone paths wending through them.’
- ‘A molecule is said to be symmetrical if it can be divided into equal mirror image parts by a line or a plane.’
- ‘The pressure hulls are arranged parallel to each other and symmetrical to a centerplane.’
- ‘Her lipstick is done so well, you'd think they'd want her face to be symmetrical.’
- ‘I positioned things close to the symmetrical axes and sight lines but always a bit off.’
- ‘Lemmer's geometric, symmetrical sculptures are clearly variations on a theme.’
- ‘Males compete in the bodybuilding competition with judges looking for symmetrical muscularity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.