Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The division of words into syllables, either in speech or in writing.
- ‘A member of the French department at The Johns Hopkins University helped students arrive at correct pronunciation and syllabification of the poetic text prior to recording the vocal versions.’
- ‘However, syllabication serves an important role in writing instruction, providing the writer with a basic formula and starting point.’
- ‘Observations made indicate, for example, which child needs more assistance in phonics, syllabication skills, use of context clues, in creative and critical thinking, as well as in problem solving.’
- ‘The art of banter, which is both a workplace and television writer's art, the true insider's patois (there's a special rhythm to the banter in the show, a staccato syllabification), may be at the heart of The West Wing's success.’
- ‘What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?’
- ‘Hopkins and Peck hold similar views, adding that children of all ages should try writing about a brief moment and not confine themselves to the 5-7 - 5 syllabication limitations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.