One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large edible marine fish with a streamlined body and a long flattened swordlike snout, related to the billfishes and popular as a game fish.
Xiphias gladius, the only member of the family Xiphiidae
- ‘My favorite fish dish was the swordfish, which is capped with crispy rich bread crumbs and served over a creamy, peppery wisp of spinach.’
- ‘While trace amounts of mercury are present in nearly all types of fish, it builds up most in large predatory fish such as swordfish and sharks.’
- ‘You're going to want to avoid shark, swordfish, tile fish, and king mackerel.’
- ‘Intended to lure tuna, swordfish, and other creatures, fish bait on longlines is equally attractive to albatrosses.’
- ‘In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.’
- ‘The repellent would be applied to baits intended for tuna, swordfish, and other fish.’
- ‘Juvenile swordfish and other severely depleted species are often accidentally caught by longlines.’
- ‘Some fish that are rich in omega - 3 fatty acids, such as tuna, swordfish and mackerel, also may be high in mercury.’
- ‘They also captured evidence of the large number of other fish caught, including swordfish, marlin and sharks.’
- ‘Big fish - like swordfish and bluefin tuna - are attracted to fronts where cold and warm waters meet.’
- ‘Can chefs serve swordfish, bluefin tuna or Chilean seabass in good conscience?’
- ‘Other high-mercury fish that pregnant women should avoid include albacore tuna, swordfish, and tilefish.’
- ‘Eat swordfish, shark, tilefish and king mackerel no more than once a month.’
- ‘Women in this category should also avoid consuming the white fish species of shark, marlin and swordfish for the same reason.’
- ‘The cod's the best bit here, but in nutritional terms, it trails a dismal second to oily varieties of fish such as salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel and swordfish.’
- ‘Dr. Myers is talking about fish - specifically the large, predatory fish like tuna, marlin, swordfish and cod that we prize for food.’
- ‘Seafood is the main attraction, and the freshness and quality is excellent - the three of us sampled mackerel, tuna and swordfish, none of which could be faulted.’
- ‘The major trading of tuna, marlin, shark, kingfish, swordfish and manta ray is conducted in the covered hallways of the central market in Creek Road.’
- ‘Marlin, orange roughy, monkfish and swordfish as well as shark are on its list.’
- ‘Recent studies have shown that marine fish such as shark, swordfish, and king mackerel can also contain high levels of mercury.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.