Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large edible marine fish with a streamlined body and a long flattened sword-like snout, related to the billfishes and popular as a game fish.
- ‘Other high-mercury fish that pregnant women should avoid include albacore tuna, swordfish, and tilefish.’
- ‘My favorite fish dish was the swordfish, which is capped with crispy rich bread crumbs and served over a creamy, peppery wisp of spinach.’
- ‘Marlin, orange roughy, monkfish and swordfish as well as shark are on its list.’
- ‘Can chefs serve swordfish, bluefin tuna or Chilean seabass in good conscience?’
- ‘Dr. Myers is talking about fish - specifically the large, predatory fish like tuna, marlin, swordfish and cod that we prize for food.’
- ‘Eat swordfish, shark, tilefish and king mackerel no more than once a month.’
- ‘The cod's the best bit here, but in nutritional terms, it trails a dismal second to oily varieties of fish such as salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel and swordfish.’
- ‘You're going to want to avoid shark, swordfish, tile fish, and king mackerel.’
- ‘Seafood is the main attraction, and the freshness and quality is excellent - the three of us sampled mackerel, tuna and swordfish, none of which could be faulted.’
- ‘Big fish - like swordfish and bluefin tuna - are attracted to fronts where cold and warm waters meet.’
- ‘In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.’
- ‘The major trading of tuna, marlin, shark, kingfish, swordfish and manta ray is conducted in the covered hallways of the central market in Creek Road.’
- ‘The repellent would be applied to baits intended for tuna, swordfish, and other fish.’
- ‘Women in this category should also avoid consuming the white fish species of shark, marlin and swordfish for the same reason.’
- ‘Some fish that are rich in omega - 3 fatty acids, such as tuna, swordfish and mackerel, also may be high in mercury.’
- ‘They also captured evidence of the large number of other fish caught, including swordfish, marlin and sharks.’
- ‘Intended to lure tuna, swordfish, and other creatures, fish bait on longlines is equally attractive to albatrosses.’
- ‘Recent studies have shown that marine fish such as shark, swordfish, and king mackerel can also contain high levels of mercury.’
- ‘Juvenile swordfish and other severely depleted species are often accidentally caught by longlines.’
- ‘While trace amounts of mercury are present in nearly all types of fish, it builds up most in large predatory fish such as swordfish and sharks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.