One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mainly green hummingbird with a very long bill, found in northern South America.
- ‘It's known for its great birdlife, with many small flocks of colourful scarlet-bellied mountain tanagers and sword-billed hummingbirds.’
- ‘Some, like lancebills and swordbills, can't use them because of bill shape.’
- ‘The swordbilled hummingbird and the condor are found here, as well as wolves, pumas, deer.’
- ‘Clearly this is still one of the most important, if not the most important factor controlling bill shape, otherwise we wouldn't have curlews, ibises, sword-billed hummingbirds, flamingos, crossbills, or all those oystercatcher polymorphs.’
- ‘Many of the hummingbirds, including Swordbills can be closely seen at feeders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.