Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A combat using swords as weapons.
- ‘He also faces off with Capitan Pasquale in one of the best sword fights in cinematic history.’
- ‘The characters are great, and the swordfight is atmospheric and suspenseful.’
- ‘He look as though he had had no sword fighting skills in his life, judging by the way he swung he sword so carelessly over his head.’
- ‘He finds acting students are quickly receptive to the notion that stage combat training is not a martial art or a sword fight.’
- ‘Im only worried about the sword fighting because Im naturally quite clumsy.’
- ‘A swashbuckling sea adventure with loads of derring-do, swordfights, mutinies and good old fashioned maiden rescues.’
- ‘In ancient times when the occurrence of a swordfight wasn't too rare, gentlemen trained at a game called foil with the express purpose of learning to duel.’
- ‘Nor does this story of epic battles run to a single decent sword-fight, a truly astonishing omission.’
- ‘Both the opening pirate attack and the closing sword fight are effectively staged, cut, and lit, adding both urgency to the action and heightening tension.’
- ‘The swordfights produce little in the way of excitement or suspense.’
- ‘A sword fight in a graveyard is inserted to beef up the action.’
- ‘Alice comes across two courtiers having a sword fight.’
- ‘It's hard not to like a well-staged sword fight.’
- ‘The hours we'd spend in sword fights with home-made wooden swords and shields painted up with the crest of the Black Knight.’
- ‘Everyone loves to watch the sword-fights in the movies, but not a fencing match.’
- ‘It also features one of the best swordfights ever seen in comics.’
- ‘By hanging the story on this idea, everything else that happens - every swordfight, every desperate skirmish - is given real meaning.’
- ‘Bruce Lee fighting his way up the tower in Game of Death will always be better than sword fight after sword fight.’
- ‘Action consists of a series of sword fights where you dispatch groups of henchmen before taking on each of the top 10.’
- ‘It's a funny, action-packed romp brimming with great stunts, swordfights, special effects and the buxom talents of Catherine Zeta-Jones.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.