One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance in which the performers brandish swords or step around swords laid on the ground, originally as a tribal preparation for war or as a victory celebration.
- ‘But even as these doubts moved about her mind, she was entranced by the grace of Joren's sword dance.’
- ‘During religious festivals, tourists are allowed to enter the Dzong (monastery/fortress) and view masked and sword dances; most of the dances date back to before the Middle Ages and are performed only once or twice a year.’
- ‘The sword dance is done with blunt wooden-handled swords which are about 20 inches in length.’
- ‘He managed to just keep his reaction to a simple bulging of the eyes with a slight break in his sword dance.’
- ‘The ardha is a men's sword dance, which is accompanied by drumming and by a poet, who sings the lyrics.’
- ‘Joe Dey asked me to find some other gimmick, so that's when I came up with the sword dance.’
- ‘In another corner small girls in kilts and black waistcoats were doing sword dances to pipe music.’
- ‘The standard English classification of types of dances came to consist of a categorical triad: morris dances, sword dances, and country dances, the first two being ritual and the third social dancing.’
- ‘Jhumar, Sammi, Luddi, and the sword dance are all popular folk dances of the Punjab.’
- ‘Competitors danced the Highland fling, the sword dance, the sean triubhais, the Highland reel, the sailors hornpipe, the Irish Jig and other dances, preferably to the music of the bagpipe.’
- ‘Back at the back of the line, she glanced over at Dan, who was now completing a sword dance with the rest of his group.’
- ‘Every culture has some form of stick or sword dance, from the Egyptian Assaya to the Paulitos from Portugal.’
- ‘A traditional Arab dance is the ardha, or men's sword dance.’
- ‘The specific character of the ritual and the worship that modern English morris dances and sword dances were supposed to reflect was never established.’
- ‘The common and consistent point is that they took a selection of historic performance practices - morris dances and sword dances, mumming, and others in England - and declared them to be the survivals of ancient sacrificial rituals.’
- ‘It set Sharp off on his lifetime's work, collecting some five thousand folksongs and, later, the collection of Morris and sword dances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.