Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stick used for frothing up still drinks or taking the fizz out of sparkling ones.
- ‘It came with a straw, swizzle stick and a tiny macaroon biscuit.’
- ‘I sincerely hope you took my advice about the melted chocolate swizzle stick.’
- ‘Karen Kitt pointed at the wall-clock with her swizzle stick.’
- ‘Have a coke with a couple lime wedges in it + ice + a swizzle stick.’
- ‘Set out a cork screw, bottle opener, swizzle sticks, cocktail napkins and all the necessary ingredients for making the beverages you are offering.’
- ‘If you really like throwing parties, why not pick up a few themed tablecloths, swizzle sticks, or other cheap party goods?’
- ‘I preferred cocktails the old way - when they were pink and sickly and stuffed with rainbow-coloured swizzle sticks and sparklers.’
- ‘There will be no hot cider with cinnamon swizzle sticks around the T.V. on crisp evenings this September.’
- ‘I have a swizzle stick and I know how to use it… well, I don't actually, but I'm sure I'll soon learn the correct wrist action.’
- ‘Even new swizzle sticks which are also referred to as stirrers or picks, depending on whether their ends are pointy or not, can be quite high-priced.’
- ‘Mitch looked at the two women, playfully taking a swizzle stick, and mock stabbing himself in the heart with it.’
- ‘Catching the look in the smaller girl's eyes, she lunged forward, throwing her swizzle stick.’
- ‘‘Ah, c'mon,’ he says, twirling his drink's swizzle stick, ‘you're tiny, for Christ's sake.’’
- ‘We discussed issues like what to do with paper parasols, swizzle sticks shaped like flamingos, sparklers and other cocktail paraphernalia while you drink your drink.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.