Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A tall North American panic grass which forms large clumps.
- ‘These include products made from the switchgrass and wood chips mentioned in President Bush's address.’
- ‘The switchgrass will be burned with coal to produce electricity.’
- ‘Warm-season grass pastures were a mix of big and little bluestem, Indian grass, switchgrass, and sideoats grama; grazing began June 8.’
- ‘For example, a common warm season mixture consists of Indiangrass, big bluestem, and switchgrass.’
- ‘Both alfalfa and switchgrass can also be burned to generate electricity.’
- ‘After years of research, biopower from two unlikely crops - willow and switchgrass - soon may be a reality in New York and Iowa.’
- ‘The mixture of warm- and cool-season grass pastures was predominantly switchgrass, big bluestem, and smooth brome.’
- ‘Another potential fuel source under study by Iowa State researchers is switchgrass, a native warm-season grass that once thrived in the tall grass prairies.’
- ‘Based on modern plant distribution and abundance, it is plausible that Panicum sp. and Andropogon sp. grains are largely derived from the species switchgrass and big bluestem, respectively.’
- ‘Examples include plastics made from soybeans, building materials made from corn stalks and fuels made from switchgrass.’
- ‘Most promising, he says, is cellulosic ethanol, made from paper pulp, specially designed fuel crops like switchgrass and many wastes that can be diverted from landfill and turned into fuel.’
- ‘Using switchgrass for ethanol production results in even higher energy gains: up to 72 percent.’
- ‘More energy was also required to produce fuels from switchgrass, wood chips, and sunflower plants than their respective fuels generate.’
- ‘They've nearly perfected an adhesive made of soy protein and used it successfully in composite boards made from virgin and recycled wood, cornstalks, switchgrass and animal processed fiber.’
- ‘I'm opposed to corn-ethanol subsidies for these reasons, but I'm open to switchgrass and other alternatives.’
- ‘The preferred overwintering sites of adult chinch bugs are dense clumps of native warm-season bunchgrasses such as little bluestem, big bluestem and switchgrass.’
- ‘They'll also cover new opportunities for earning income from farmland, such as carbon sequestration and growing switchgrass as a biofuel crop.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.