One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knife with a blade that springs out from the handle when a button is pressed; a flick knife.
- ‘Supposedly, the child has multiple weapons (including guns, knives, switchblades, etc) hidden in her room, and various drugs.’
- ‘You've got your 13-year-olds with switchblades coming out of every pocket.’
- ‘I reached into my left jacket pocket and pulled out a switchblade knife.’
- ‘The Twins then put their switchblades back in their pockets and helped Melissa back on her feet.’
- ‘He grabbed the switchblade from his back pocket as Carl got closer and closer.’
- ‘I pulled my switchblade from my pocket and held it up.’
- ‘One display case was reserved for switchblades.’
- ‘Sticking his hand in his pocket to finger his switchblade, Roger sped up a bit, but the footsteps followed him in perfect synchronization.’
- ‘The sneering henchmen that talked to her earlier walked forward and handed him a switchblade from his pocket.’
- ‘Suddenly Jorge pulled out a switchblade from his pocket.’
- ‘Checking to make sure all the windows were closed and the doors locked, I pocketed my old switchblade and headed out the door.’
- ‘They may not carry switchblades, but they have other weapons just as powerful in their arsenal.’
- ‘Dan reached into a pocket and pulled out a switchblade.’
- ‘Her black eyes were unfocused, her other hand absent-mindedly fondling the pocketed switchblade.’
- ‘They both carried switchblades and were involved in gambling and prostitution.’
- ‘The man drew out a switchblade the size of a penknife.’
- ‘She picks up the switchblade and puts it into her pockets.’
- ‘He drew his switchblade from his pocket and pressed the blade release button.’
- ‘He took out the switchblade and replaced it with a survival knife from the supply box, knowing it would be more useful.’
- ‘She wished she could reach the switchblade in her skirt's back pocket and cut herself loose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.