One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cylindrical cake with a spiral cross section, made from a flat sponge cake spread with a filling such as jam and rolled up.
- ‘In a large trifle bowl or individual glasses, place one layer of Swiss roll, sprinkle on rum, spoon custard on top, layer with fruits; repeat until all Swiss roll is used and the last layer is custard and fruit.’
- ‘Next month's meeting will be held on Tuesday night, June 4 and the competition is for the best homebaked jam-filled Swiss roll.’
- ‘Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll, starting from one long side.’
- ‘Brush the gaps with beaten egg. Starting with one of these edges, roll up tightly like a Swiss roll.’
- ‘The fresh cream pastries include orange and Cointreau pastry, white forest Swiss roll, lemon meringue roulade, tiramisu and coconut mousse cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.