One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Switzerland or its people.
- ‘The music was written by a Swiss fan, and then I added the lyric.’
- ‘However, conditions on the mountain are treacherous and a Swiss team has already had two members so badly injured they were evacuated by helicopter.’
- ‘Raised in Pennsylvania, he spent the summers in Switzerland with his Swiss architect father.’
- ‘A role model for any Swiss woman, Maja was born in Zurich, Switzerland, to doctor parents.’
- ‘The right in Switzerland has grown out of a peculiarly Swiss sensibility which is unlike any other in Europe.’
- ‘As an honorary citizen and permanent resident, the Swiss businessman has been living and working in Shanghai for seven years.’
- ‘Each household has its own favourite recipe, some containing Swiss cheeses that you're unlikely to see outside Switzerland.’
- ‘The Swiss cities of Zurich, Bern and Geneva are the best cities for quality of life, while Luxembourg is the world's safest.’
- ‘Apart from this company, an American, a French and a Swiss firm had bid for the consulting contract with the Finance Ministry.’
- ‘Indians have told time for generations with the finest of Swiss watches.’
- ‘And then there were the two Swiss men in the cell with him; like him they had never been charged - yet they had spent a year and a half in custody.’
- ‘In 2001 Switzerland imported Bulgarian goods worth some 60 million Swiss francs.’
- ‘See the page on card games in Switzerland for further information on games with Swiss cards.’
- ‘Most Swiss youngsters have to choose in their mid-teens whether to pursue competitive sport, education or an apprenticeship.’
- ‘The Swiss company says it was surprised at the announcement of the one day strike with provisional agreement on the cameras made in March.’
- ‘The 1950s former Swiss air force trainer jet had flown four times over the crowd before trying to turn when it corkscrewed and plummeted into a ridge.’
- ‘The seizure is believed to have been prompted by a news item that included photographs of Swiss police officers at a G8 summit.’
- ‘They insisted on the people being consulted in a Swiss style referendum where the details are on the table before, and not after they vote.’
- ‘It was founded in 1989 with the aim providing local Swiss audiences with quality opera and cantata performances.’
- ‘Several other Swiss firms have also incurred substantial losses in the past year, as markets continue to underperform.’
A native or inhabitant of Switzerland, or a person of Swiss descent.
- ‘In the kosher Nobel Prizes we have some Brits, some Japanese, Americans and of course a Swiss, but once again, all men.’
- ‘The firm was established four years ago by a multi-ethnic trio - a Swiss, a Dane and a Thai.’
- ‘A painting may not resonate with a Maori as with a German; a song in Chinese means nothing to a Swiss.’
- ‘If a Norwegian or a Swiss ever makes our team, what happens to the flag?’
- ‘The missing are thought to include a Briton, a Swiss, a German, five Thais, two Americans, two Australians and three others.’
Early 16th century: from French Suisse, from Middle High German Swīz ‘Switzerland’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.