Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A player who can play both guard and forward.
- ‘More than anything, the team needs his defense on the perimeter against more athletic swingmen.’
- ‘DePaula, who is expected to be sidelined for about 10 months, had been working as a swingman for the team.’
- ‘He would like to return, but the Nets can't spend another season with a 6-5 swingman as the small forward in an ever-growing league.’
- ‘Dallas swingman and rising star Michael Finley is another player who doesn't miss games.’
- ‘The swingman, who has a sweet jump shot, was sidelined by bad knees last season.’
- ‘At least they trimmed some excess swingmen away.’
- ‘But let's face it, the Warriors had too many people who played the same style last season, and the only thing the overabundance of swingmen did was create mass confusion.’
- ‘If you perform well enough the next five weeks, you'll make the Panthers' roster as a backup, a swingman who can play both right and left tackle.’
- ‘The Raptors needed a point guard and a center, and they drafted neither, selecting two swingmen instead.’
- ‘There are too many swingmen on the roster and not enough power players.’
- ‘Davis is one of the league's most athletic swingmen, and simply loves playing the game and finding new ways to put the ball through the hoop.’
- ‘The volatile swingman has been on his best behavior since arriving in Sacramento midway through last season, but many believe it's only a matter of time before he causes some kind of controversy.’
- ‘Kosier is valuable as a swingman who can play guard and tackle.’
- ‘Both swingmen play the same position, but oh-so differently.’
- ‘But with no draft choice, very little was added to the top or bottom of Milwaukee's solid band of swingmen.’
- ‘It's a big loss for Dallas, which relies on its veteran swingman for scoring and leadership off the bench.’
- ‘He's definitely one of my favorite players, as the 6-foot-7 swingman is skilled at putting the ball in the basket and hustling on defense.’
- ‘The team played hard, but was under-prepared and put together badly for this kind of competition, with a bunch of swingmen who can drive to the basket and a significant lack of big men and outside shooters.’
- ‘The second-year swingman - another stunningly sweet Sacramento surprise - probably ranks as the top bench player in the league right now.’
- ‘His 1999 as a swingman was encouraging, his 2000 as a reliever was fantastic.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.