One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vote that has a decisive influence on the result of a poll.
- ‘France knows that it is the swing vote on the council.’
- ‘She, often described as the all-important swing vote on the court, and her replacement is bound, certainly under the circumstances now, to create a major fight later this summer.’
- ‘The swing vote will be minorities and women in 2004, and the gender gap will be wider than in 2000.’
- ‘Because she was a crucial swing vote on so many cases, many conservative groups are prepared for a bare-knuckled - and possibly ugly - fight over her successor.’
- ‘He was the key swing vote in both cases.’
- ‘Each of the candidates already has formed his support base in the rightish/leftish wings of society, so both are now attempting to target the so-called swing vote.’
- ‘There is also a very inspired black voter turnout, which in fact is the swing vote.’
- ‘With polls indicating the ANC will win two-thirds of the vote nationally, the swing vote will not determine the government of the day.’
- ‘A minority can leverage its power by being a swing vote.’
- ‘Both sides have spent years preparing for the pivotal battle over who will succeed Justice O'Connor, the critical swing vote on abortion rights and other social issues.’
- ‘And as so often, Sandra Day O'Connor was the swing vote.’
- ‘The moderates hold the swing vote in this country.’
- ‘The swing vote is completely incomprehensible.’
- ‘‘You could have been the swing vote in our department,’ he said.’
- ‘Beyond the political swing vote, however, more important and more fundamental to liberating ourselves from dependence is creating an intellectual center.’
- ‘During the last 28 years, Catholics - who make up over a quarter of the total electorate - have proven to be an important swing vote.’
- ‘The owner wants to be in control of that swing vote, which often means the owner is the swing vote.’
- ‘A swing vote, he has joined Democrats on some issues.’
- ‘Last year she was the swing vote in a 5-4 ruling that said disabled people can sue if states ignore a civil rights law on access to courthouses.’
- ‘Longtime mayor Jack Loucks held the swing vote on the matter and decided to vote in favour of the plan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.