One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of influenza which affects pigs, or a form of human influenza caused by a related virus.
- ‘We're going to make our way to the hospital where some of the first cases of swine flu were treated.’
- ‘In New York, he has been at the forefront of the fight against swine flu.’
- ‘Swine flu is also crowding out regular flu viruses.’
- ‘Another Briton, unconnected to the schools visit, is also hospitalised with swine flu.’
- ‘Several million people could become ill with either seasonal flu or swine flu by the end of the year.’
- ‘It had been asked to provide feedback from GPs about swine flu.’
- ‘The outbreak of swine flu, which has already claimed 429 lives around the world, will undoubtedly damage the already fragile global economy.’
- ‘Overall, at least seven countries are dealing with confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu.’
- ‘A health official says the first case of swine flu has been diagnosed in the Palestinian areas.’
- ‘The Scottish couple suffering from swine flu, from Polmont, near Falkirk had been in Mexico on honeymoon in Cancun.’
- ‘Well, still ahead we're talking about how schools are preparing for swine flu.’
- ‘Ireland also reported its first probable case of swine flu this afternoon, a man who has recently returned from Mexico.’
- ‘Perhaps influenced by Central American preoccupations with swine flu, the Panama Star said British MPs had succumbed to a worldwide disease.’
- ‘Its aggressive approach to swine flu in recent months is credited with keeping the number of infected within its borders to a minimum.’
- ‘Yesterday the first cases of swine flu among people who had not visited Mexico were confirmed.’
- ‘Swine flu went from unknown, to hysteria, to uninteresting in days.’
- ‘Health officials in California have confirmed two deaths related to swine flu.’
- ‘Three girls who were confirmed to have contracted swine flu were taken to hospital.’
- ‘Sebelius went on to say that vaccines, not school closings, need to be the defense against swine flu.’
- ‘There is now an approved lab to test for swine flu in Richmond, California, the San Francisco Bay area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.