Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Clothing worn for swimming.
- ‘The collections featured included resort wear, brights, casual wear, executive, formal clothes and swimwear.’
- ‘Even in swimwear they dress formal, I laughed to myself.’
- ‘A lot of women want to find cheap plus size swimwear because they are buying it for a holiday and probably won't wear it that often when they return home.’
- ‘The company supplies quality underwear and swimwear in a large range of sizes and styles.’
- ‘Other women on the beach were wearing traditional swimwear, which included skirts, long-sleeved blouses and stockings.’
- ‘Once she arrives she will be given a glamorous wardrobe packed with designer gowns, swimwear and suits.’
- ‘You can match your swimwear with your skirts for new looks as you go from the beach to the bar for a drink.’
- ‘Everybody else put on their clothes over their swimwear, and gathered up their things, then they started to head out of the sports center.’
- ‘Avoid wearing shiny or sparkling swimwear as this makes you look like fish-like and may provoke a shark attack or big fish attack.’
- ‘You would be advised to wear comfortable shoes, swimwear and other gear and, of course, take sunglasses and a hat!’
- ‘Remember, our selling collections, which incorporate knitwear, bags and swimwear, are huge.’
- ‘Entirely sensibly, I came to the conclusion that I don't look good in swimwear and a sash, and my head's too big for a tiara.’
- ‘The two brands provide a series of swimwear, gym wear, underwear and accessories which are young, sporty and sexy.’
- ‘Although women usually get all the attention during summer, now men can also make a few heads turn with the right swimwear.’
- ‘The firm, set up in 1957, manufactures lingerie, swimwear and nightwear for high street stores and designer labels.’
- ‘The right compartment had all her casual clothes, her blouse, jeans, pants, dresses and even swimwear were.’
- ‘To a lesser extent, the line includes swimwear, bats and bags (from handbags to make-up bags).’
- ‘She eventually managed to find a shop which sold swimwear, and chose a black two-piece which she could not imagine herself wearing.’
- ‘Well it's coming up to summer again which means that the layers of clothing are reduced and on many occasions little but swimwear will be called for.’
- ‘Potential applications include fabrics for dresses and blouses as well as swimwear and aerobic wear because the fiber dyes well with spandex.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.