One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment worn for swimming, especially a woman's one-piece swimsuit.
- ‘Those newly revived 1930s shorts-style swimming costumes must be avoided at all costs - they looks hideous on everyone.’
- ‘A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.’
- ‘We jumped out of the spa bath in just our swimming costumes and ran back indoors.’
- ‘‘It will be their summer in August, but we've been told to take fleeces as well as swimming costumes, and all in a small rucksack,’ she said.’
- ‘I would bring lose of different clothes like jeans, trousers, shirts, T-shirts, swimming costumes, flippers and goggles, shorts if it is hot.’
- ‘As ever we packed for every eventuality with clothes ranging from t-shirts and short, swimming costumes, jumpers, waterproof coats, thick jackets.’
- ‘A lot of the people we saw had lost everything in the disaster and were dressed in swimming costumes and little else.’
- ‘For £1 a time people stand in their swimming costumes under the warm air heaters and wait.’
- ‘Bring plenty of books and magazines to pass the time, and comfortable clothing and sports gear, including a swimming costume.’
- ‘Forget those swimming costumes, mini-skirts and leisurely beach walks in bright sunshine on Christmas Day.’
- ‘It was the end of October and I was wearing a woollen swimming costume.’
- ‘There are some gorgeous, swimming costumes available for mums-to-be, so no excuses!’
- ‘More than 100 people - many still in swimming costumes - were evacuated from a pool after a ceiling light caught fire.’
- ‘It was a bit embarrassing when I first went for a dip as I didn't have a swimming costume and had to wear a hand-me-down bikini from my half-sister.’
- ‘The summer is not that far away and people are perhaps a bit worried about fitting into their swimming costumes.’
- ‘I think the Victorians had it right on this one when they made everyone wear full length swimming costumes.’
- ‘They visited a steam bath enclosed in a brick pyramid, and stripped down to their swimming costumes.’
- ‘She had put on her linen swimming costume under her clothes in case she had to swim to the island.’
- ‘I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday.’
- ‘Grabbing their linen swimming costumes and towels from their bedrooms, they hurried off to the lake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.