One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A swimming costume.‘her swimmers were old and she folded them neatly’
- ‘She lay out on the sand, sunning herself in her swimmers.’
- ‘We got out of our swimmers and dressed for shopping and dinner.’
- ‘Apparently, my swimmers were not even fit for recycling.’
- ‘If I were to appear on the cover of a mag in my swimmers, I might request they do a little work, too.’
- ‘He donned his best blue jeans over the top of his swimmers.’
- ‘He was shy about her seeing him in his swimmers.’
- ‘And you've already seen him in his swimmers.’
- ‘I was already in my swimmers, waiting for everyone else to get up.’
- ‘I cracked the light stick that that was attached to my swimmers and asked for my clear goggles.’
- ‘He got into his swimmers and walked downstairs.’
1970s: from swim + -er.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.