One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The volume through which a piston or plunger moves as it makes a stroke.
- ‘Mahle went for a 3-cylinder, in line configuration with swept volume of 609 [cm.sup.3].’
- ‘From a swept volume of 2,496 cc, it reaches its maximum torque of 370 Nm at an engine speed of only 1500 / min.’
- ‘An intriguing part of this car, though, is the complicated double-hinge arrangement that enables the doors to open without taking up too much swept volume.’
- ‘All used the same basic chassis, the main difference being the engine capacity (the model number is derived from the swept volume of one cylinder).’
- ‘Between range changes, the Waters pump increases flow rate by increasing frequency of pumping and without also increasing the swept volume.’
- ‘The swept volume of the primary cylinder remains the same throughout any given range.’
- ‘The swept volume is the amount of volume that the piston moves through as it moves up and down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.