One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounSouth African
1Land on which plants providing nutritious grazing grow.
- ‘It is a beautiful farm, mostly flat and sweetveld with your usual acacia trees and other species.’
- ‘The area is regarded as prime grazing veld for cattle, forming part of the superior ‘smaldeel’ swathe of sweetveld.’
- ‘The game farm is located in the sweetveld area north of Ellisras.’
- ‘The 50% and 33% limits are based on field experience that in sourveld the maximum frequency of burning should not be more than biennial and in sweetveld triennial.’
- ‘The grasses and shrubs which thrive in these areas are generally highly palatable and of high nutritive value, hence the name sweetveld applied to the natural vegetation.’
- ‘The distribution of sweetveld and sourveld in South Africa's grassland biome in relation to environmental factors Request Article’
- ‘The veld type is typical mountainous sweetveld with spekboom, wild plum, gwarri, wild olive, karee, grassland and riverine thorn thickets being the predominant vegetation types.’
- ‘It is always associated with sweetveld grasses - those grasses which remain palatable through the dry season - and provides much nitrogen to the soil through its root nodules and litterfall.’
- ‘The Pan and the surrounding sweetveld savannah plains are home to more than 114 mammal and some 340 bird species.’
- ‘The return loop between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane, which traverses the sweetveld plains, proffers one of Kruger Park's best game driving areas.’
- ‘Vegetation is typical Eastern Cape sweetveld and bush with the landscape and kloofs providing the ideal habitat for rare cycads, sneezewoods, yellowwoods, knobthorns and a variety of game.’
- ‘This is the renowned sweetveld region, purchased by Liebigs (later Lemco) at the turn of the 20th century.’
- ‘The sweetveld is found mainly in the eastern plains, whereas the sourveld is limited to the western regions.’
- ‘This is mainly sweetveld which makes grazing a pleasure Thisfarm is a mere 3 hours drive from Johannesburg.’
- 1.1 Nutritious vegetation.
Probably partly translating Dutch zoeteveld; compare with sourveld.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.