Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Land on which plants providing nutritious grazing grow.
- ‘The sweetveld is found mainly in the eastern plains, whereas the sourveld is limited to the western regions.’
- ‘It is always associated with sweetveld grasses - those grasses which remain palatable through the dry season - and provides much nitrogen to the soil through its root nodules and litterfall.’
- ‘The return loop between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane, which traverses the sweetveld plains, proffers one of Kruger Park's best game driving areas.’
- ‘This is mainly sweetveld which makes grazing a pleasure Thisfarm is a mere 3 hours drive from Johannesburg.’
- ‘The veld type is typical mountainous sweetveld with spekboom, wild plum, gwarri, wild olive, karee, grassland and riverine thorn thickets being the predominant vegetation types.’
- ‘Vegetation is typical Eastern Cape sweetveld and bush with the landscape and kloofs providing the ideal habitat for rare cycads, sneezewoods, yellowwoods, knobthorns and a variety of game.’
- ‘It is a beautiful farm, mostly flat and sweetveld with your usual acacia trees and other species.’
- ‘The Pan and the surrounding sweetveld savannah plains are home to more than 114 mammal and some 340 bird species.’
- ‘This is the renowned sweetveld region, purchased by Liebigs (later Lemco) at the turn of the 20th century.’
- ‘The distribution of sweetveld and sourveld in South Africa's grassland biome in relation to environmental factors Request Article’
- ‘The grasses and shrubs which thrive in these areas are generally highly palatable and of high nutritive value, hence the name sweetveld applied to the natural vegetation.’
- ‘The game farm is located in the sweetveld area north of Ellisras.’
- ‘The 50% and 33% limits are based on field experience that in sourveld the maximum frequency of burning should not be more than biennial and in sweetveld triennial.’
- ‘The area is regarded as prime grazing veld for cattle, forming part of the superior ‘smaldeel’ swathe of sweetveld.’
- 1.1Nutritious vegetation.
Probably partly translating Dutch zoeteveld; compare with sourveld.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.