One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A round or heart-shaped custard apple which has a green scaly rind and a sweet pulp.Also called sugar apple
- ‘Fruit bats in the Cayman Islands are considered to be crop pests and information is available from the National Trust to help farmers to protect their sweetsops and other soft-skinned fruits.’
- ‘Among the more exotic fruits popular in Jamaica are guineps, pawpaw, sweetsops and the star apple.’
- ‘He recited a litany of the fruit there, including mangoes, papayas, sweetsops, cherries and coconuts.’
- ‘The sweetsop has two harvests from February to March, and from September to November.’
- ‘There is also plenty of tropical fruits such as bananas, pineapples, coconuts and the less popular outside Jamaica: pawpaws, guineps and sweetsops.’
- ‘The fruits most likely to be intended by the term are cherimoya, sugar-apple (alias sweetsop), bullock's heart, and (in the USA) pond apple.’
- ‘An organic tropical orchard supplies all kinds of fruits, from pomegranate to jackfruit to soursop and sweetsop to cherry, naseberry, and other indigenous fruits.’
- ‘Soursop and custard apple are widely distributed in Central America and the Caribbean, while sweetsop is commonest in India and Southeast Asia.’
- ‘Locally grown fruit and vegetables can be a bargain - Jaffa oranges and other citrus fruit of course, but also exotic fruits such as fresh dates, persimmons, custard apples (sweetsops) and starfruits.’
- ‘The mouth watering range of tropical fruits include banana, pawpaw, pineapple, coconut, sweetsops and papaya.’
- ‘The gardens are fully of all the Jamaican local favorites, including fruit trees such as banana, sweetsop, mangos and much more.’
- ‘There were limes, sweetsops, callaloo, guava, sugar cane and exotic new Asian delicacies like bitter melon.’
- ‘The skin of a sweetsop is purple and is well sweeter and less custard-like than soursop.’
- ‘Jamaica has the best fruits ever so when I visit I eat lots of mangoes and sweetsops whenever they are in season.’
- ‘Irrigation during the dry season and once during ripening will increase the size of Jamaican sweetsop.’
- ‘At my job at the software company, I had a co-worker who was an exotic fruit fiend, and I got introduced to sweetsops and cactus fruit and the cherimoya.’
2The tropical American evergreen shrub which yields sweetsops.
- ‘In apparently healthy tissues of sweetsop and soursop plants, some fungi promote shoot growth or reduce root growth, while others have no effect on growth of sweetsop seedlings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.