One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A round or heart-shaped custard apple which has a green scaly rind and a sweet pulp.Also called sugar apple
- ‘The mouth watering range of tropical fruits include banana, pawpaw, pineapple, coconut, sweetsops and papaya.’
- ‘Among the more exotic fruits popular in Jamaica are guineps, pawpaw, sweetsops and the star apple.’
- ‘The sweetsop has two harvests from February to March, and from September to November.’
- ‘The gardens are fully of all the Jamaican local favorites, including fruit trees such as banana, sweetsop, mangos and much more.’
- ‘The fruits most likely to be intended by the term are cherimoya, sugar-apple (alias sweetsop), bullock's heart, and (in the USA) pond apple.’
- ‘Irrigation during the dry season and once during ripening will increase the size of Jamaican sweetsop.’
- ‘He recited a litany of the fruit there, including mangoes, papayas, sweetsops, cherries and coconuts.’
- ‘The skin of a sweetsop is purple and is well sweeter and less custard-like than soursop.’
- ‘Jamaica has the best fruits ever so when I visit I eat lots of mangoes and sweetsops whenever they are in season.’
- ‘Soursop and custard apple are widely distributed in Central America and the Caribbean, while sweetsop is commonest in India and Southeast Asia.’
- ‘An organic tropical orchard supplies all kinds of fruits, from pomegranate to jackfruit to soursop and sweetsop to cherry, naseberry, and other indigenous fruits.’
- ‘At my job at the software company, I had a co-worker who was an exotic fruit fiend, and I got introduced to sweetsops and cactus fruit and the cherimoya.’
- ‘Fruit bats in the Cayman Islands are considered to be crop pests and information is available from the National Trust to help farmers to protect their sweetsops and other soft-skinned fruits.’
- ‘There were limes, sweetsops, callaloo, guava, sugar cane and exotic new Asian delicacies like bitter melon.’
- ‘Locally grown fruit and vegetables can be a bargain - Jaffa oranges and other citrus fruit of course, but also exotic fruits such as fresh dates, persimmons, custard apples (sweetsops) and starfruits.’
- ‘There is also plenty of tropical fruits such as bananas, pineapples, coconuts and the less popular outside Jamaica: pawpaws, guineps and sweetsops.’
2The tropical American evergreen shrub which yields sweetsops.
Annona squamosa, family Annonaceae
- ‘In apparently healthy tissues of sweetsop and soursop plants, some fungi promote shoot growth or reduce root growth, while others have no effect on growth of sweetsop seedlings.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.