One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An item of confectionery or sweet food.‘he hurried back to his room like a schoolboy who has stolen a sweetmeat’
piece of confectionery, chocolate, bonbon, fondant, toffeeView synonyms
- ‘The fruits are eaten stewed, candied, in sweetmeats, and in a jelly.’
- ‘Enter this mystical city through a narrow, cobbled street where street vendors selling everything from sweetmeats to silver trinkets and leather slippers call out to passing trade.’
- ‘When it comes to finding such Australian sweetmeats as witchetty grubs and honey pot ants, Aboriginal women are masters at divining underground hideouts.’
- ‘All that was lacking was our traditional sweetmeat, shortbread in a tartan tin.’
- ‘Candy sweetmeats, sugar, ice cream, condiments, tea and coffee should also be avoided.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.