Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The thymus gland (or, rarely, the pancreas) of an animal, especially as used for food.
- ‘Atherton's schtick is to show off a smorgasbord of offerings - roasted turbot with five-spice oxtail, say, or grilled spring lamb with cinnamon sweetbreads.’
- ‘To finish the salad, in a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, sweetbreads, and tuna, mache with some of the vinaigrette.’
- ‘For the sweetbreads, place the sweetbreads on a cutting board and, using a thin larding needle, lard with smoked bacon.’
- ‘It was also at the River Cafe, after graduating in liver appreciation, that I went on to discover the pleasures of sweetbreads, kidneys, tongues and brains.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in water for two hours in refrigerator.’
- ‘These are made of liver, fat bacon, and sometimes sweetbreads or other offal or lean pork, with garlic, sometimes shallots, and herbs and spices - but not with breadcrumbs or other cereal.’
- ‘Arrange some sweetbreads, artichokes, and crawfish in the center, sprinkle the dish with paprika and garnish with chervil.’
- ‘I started off with the roast veal sweetbreads with collop of foie gras and morel jus, while Vicky opted for the roulade of duck fois gras cooked in truffle stock with cherry brioche.’
- ‘Season the sweetbreads with salt, pepper, clove, and cinnamon.’
- ‘A roast sweetbread was sauced with a Madeira and truffle mix of improbable delicacy.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in milk in refrigerator for eight hours; blanch and remove outer membrane.’
- ‘Lightly coat sweetbreads in flour and sear until golden brown and crisp.’
- ‘Some very good sweetbreads with wild mushrooms were served at little more than body temperature - slightly queasifying.’
- ‘Season sweetbreads with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.’
- ‘Remove meat and sweetbreads from sieve and discard vegetables.’
- ‘Cut sweetbreads into four even pieces; dust with fennel pollen.’
- ‘We moved on to our starters, with Vicky choosing seared scallops wrapped in pancetta with cider beurre blanc, while I tried the veal sweetbread profiteroles with sauce cevenoles.’
- ‘I dutifully swigged successive glasses of the Albariño with my codfish confit one night, and again with a thrombotic dish of grilled skate and veal sweetbreads the next.’
- ‘Why bother selling beef liver as calf's when pork liver and lamb sweetbreads are so good!’
- ‘I chose the veal sweetbreads, wild mushrooms, pecans and red wine reduction precisely because I thought it was such an interesting mix.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.