Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The thymus gland (or, rarely, the pancreas) of an animal, especially as used for food.
- ‘Remove meat and sweetbreads from sieve and discard vegetables.’
- ‘I dutifully swigged successive glasses of the Albariño with my codfish confit one night, and again with a thrombotic dish of grilled skate and veal sweetbreads the next.’
- ‘We moved on to our starters, with Vicky choosing seared scallops wrapped in pancetta with cider beurre blanc, while I tried the veal sweetbread profiteroles with sauce cevenoles.’
- ‘Some very good sweetbreads with wild mushrooms were served at little more than body temperature - slightly queasifying.’
- ‘Why bother selling beef liver as calf's when pork liver and lamb sweetbreads are so good!’
- ‘For the sweetbreads, place the sweetbreads on a cutting board and, using a thin larding needle, lard with smoked bacon.’
- ‘I chose the veal sweetbreads, wild mushrooms, pecans and red wine reduction precisely because I thought it was such an interesting mix.’
- ‘A roast sweetbread was sauced with a Madeira and truffle mix of improbable delicacy.’
- ‘It was also at the River Cafe, after graduating in liver appreciation, that I went on to discover the pleasures of sweetbreads, kidneys, tongues and brains.’
- ‘Cut sweetbreads into four even pieces; dust with fennel pollen.’
- ‘Season sweetbreads with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.’
- ‘Season the sweetbreads with salt, pepper, clove, and cinnamon.’
- ‘I started off with the roast veal sweetbreads with collop of foie gras and morel jus, while Vicky opted for the roulade of duck fois gras cooked in truffle stock with cherry brioche.’
- ‘Arrange some sweetbreads, artichokes, and crawfish in the center, sprinkle the dish with paprika and garnish with chervil.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in water for two hours in refrigerator.’
- ‘Lightly coat sweetbreads in flour and sear until golden brown and crisp.’
- ‘Atherton's schtick is to show off a smorgasbord of offerings - roasted turbot with five-spice oxtail, say, or grilled spring lamb with cinnamon sweetbreads.’
- ‘To finish the salad, in a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, sweetbreads, and tuna, mache with some of the vinaigrette.’
- ‘These are made of liver, fat bacon, and sometimes sweetbreads or other offal or lean pork, with garlic, sometimes shallots, and herbs and spices - but not with breadcrumbs or other cereal.’
- ‘Soak sweetbreads in milk in refrigerator for eight hours; blanch and remove outer membrane.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.