Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large green, yellow, orange, or red variety of capsicum which has a mild or sweet flavour and is often eaten raw.Also called bell pepper in North America
- ‘Sauté garlic, onion, celery and sweet pepper in margarine until tender, but not brown.’
- ‘I opted for pork escalope rolls filled with apples, sweet peppers, sultanas and wild rice in a Calvados cream sauce, at £12.00.’
- ‘Three to four hot pepper plants and eight to ten sweet pepper plants are generally the guidelines for a family of four.’
- ‘Even the chargrilled vegetables - which included courgettes, aubergines and sweet peppers - were excellent.’
- ‘Vitamin C, the most plentiful water-soluble antioxidant, is present in all citrus fruits and such vegetables as broccoli, sweet peppers, and potatoes.’
- ‘Sautee some finely chopped onion, escallion, sweet pepper and diced tomato in about a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil.’
- ‘A typical dinner for people on the special diet was tofu bake with eggplant, onions and sweet peppers, pearled barley and vegetables.’
- ‘The elder Okinawans eat a lot of carrots, cabbage, onions, sweet potatoes, sweet peppers and bean sprouts - more vegetables than fruits.’
- ‘To make it easier, pile on the lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet peppers, or other veggies and use the meat as a flavorful condiment.’
- ‘Place oil in pan, add onions, and sweet peppers.’
- ‘Mild sweet peppers are the ones we are all used to seeing in supermarkets, with their yellow, orange, red, green and purple skins.’
- ‘When the chicken was cooked, I strained off the juice and added a concassé of sweet peppers, tomato and pineapple slices (nicely cubed).’
- ‘This Hungarian version is one of the more interesting chicken stews in the world, with the typically Magyar ingredients of onion, sweet peppers and paprika.’
- ‘It was packed with sweet peppers, and melting onions, only just held by a light egg custard.’
- ‘We offer samples of everything from cucumbers to sweet peppers to melons.’
- ‘Apart from fresh onion, other prime fresh vegetables that are exported are okra, peas, bittergourd, green chilli, muskmelon, bottlegourd, sweet pepper, brinjal and arbi.’
- ‘All sweet peppers start out green, but they ripen into colors such as red, orange, yellow, purple, and chocolate brown.’
- ‘Other interesting starters included cured salmon with sushi rice, soy, coriander and radish salad; and the glazed goat's cheese terrine with celeriac, mozzarella, sweet peppers and aubergine salsa.’
- ‘Otherwise known as bell peppers, capsicum and pimento, sweet peppers are natural partners to Provençal vegetables such as courgettes, aubergine and tomatoes.’
- ‘In particular, the price of green onions more than tripled, to NT $300 per kilogram, while tomatoes and sweet peppers retailed for double their usual price.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.