One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large green, yellow, orange, or red variety of capsicum which has a mild or sweet flavour and is often eaten raw.
Capsicum annuum variety annuum, ‘grossum’ group (or variety grossum)Also called bell pepper in North America
- ‘It was packed with sweet peppers, and melting onions, only just held by a light egg custard.’
- ‘All sweet peppers start out green, but they ripen into colors such as red, orange, yellow, purple, and chocolate brown.’
- ‘Three to four hot pepper plants and eight to ten sweet pepper plants are generally the guidelines for a family of four.’
- ‘Apart from fresh onion, other prime fresh vegetables that are exported are okra, peas, bittergourd, green chilli, muskmelon, bottlegourd, sweet pepper, brinjal and arbi.’
- ‘Vitamin C, the most plentiful water-soluble antioxidant, is present in all citrus fruits and such vegetables as broccoli, sweet peppers, and potatoes.’
- ‘Otherwise known as bell peppers, capsicum and pimento, sweet peppers are natural partners to Provençal vegetables such as courgettes, aubergine and tomatoes.’
- ‘Sautee some finely chopped onion, escallion, sweet pepper and diced tomato in about a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil.’
- ‘To make it easier, pile on the lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet peppers, or other veggies and use the meat as a flavorful condiment.’
- ‘The elder Okinawans eat a lot of carrots, cabbage, onions, sweet potatoes, sweet peppers and bean sprouts - more vegetables than fruits.’
- ‘A typical dinner for people on the special diet was tofu bake with eggplant, onions and sweet peppers, pearled barley and vegetables.’
- ‘Even the chargrilled vegetables - which included courgettes, aubergines and sweet peppers - were excellent.’
- ‘Mild sweet peppers are the ones we are all used to seeing in supermarkets, with their yellow, orange, red, green and purple skins.’
- ‘In particular, the price of green onions more than tripled, to NT $300 per kilogram, while tomatoes and sweet peppers retailed for double their usual price.’
- ‘Place oil in pan, add onions, and sweet peppers.’
- ‘This Hungarian version is one of the more interesting chicken stews in the world, with the typically Magyar ingredients of onion, sweet peppers and paprika.’
- ‘I opted for pork escalope rolls filled with apples, sweet peppers, sultanas and wild rice in a Calvados cream sauce, at £12.00.’
- ‘When the chicken was cooked, I strained off the juice and added a concassé of sweet peppers, tomato and pineapple slices (nicely cubed).’
- ‘Other interesting starters included cured salmon with sushi rice, soy, coriander and radish salad; and the glazed goat's cheese terrine with celeriac, mozzarella, sweet peppers and aubergine salsa.’
- ‘Sauté garlic, onion, celery and sweet pepper in margarine until tender, but not brown.’
- ‘We offer samples of everything from cucumbers to sweet peppers to melons.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.