Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Exuding, soaked in, or inducing sweat.‘my feet got so hot and sweaty’
perspiring, sweating, clammy, sticky, glowing, moist, damp, slimy, soggy, dripping, drenchedView synonyms
- ‘If I look hot, sweaty and as if I'm in pain, then that's the reality and that's the way it is.’
- ‘I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans because I did not want to let them know I was frightened.’
- ‘Every time the door opens to eject another sweaty dancer, clouds of steam waft out to envelope us in a damp mist.’
- ‘I felt absorbed into the farm today, forgetting about how sweaty and dirty and tired I was.’
- ‘Outside the café is the best patio in the city, perfect for a hot and sweaty summer night.’
- ‘At least one pub is packed to the rafters with sweaty and chanting fans watching games on the big screen.’
- ‘If you shout at them their big sweaty dad will return from the beach and batter you with your broken hedge-trimmer.’
- ‘An operation cured the sweaty palms but Abbi still suffers from sweaty feet.’
- ‘Standing in the aisle breathing in the BO of the sweaty commuter souls around me.’
- ‘Such al fresco activity surely beats aerobics in a sports hall or regular visits to a hot and sweaty gym.’
- ‘He appears to glide effortlessly to unfamiliar locations without becoming even slightly sweaty.’
- ‘Four hours later, I emerged at Alicia's house, tired and sweaty, clutching the cat in my arms.’
- ‘The local beach bar was everything the yacht wasn't: small, dark, packed and sweaty.’
- ‘Hit your head on the nu-punk rock at this sweaty day of debauchery featuring tons of bands.’
- ‘The enormous concert hall is packed, sweaty and anxious for the first star to take the stage.’
- ‘He spent an entire season on a task he could have completed in one sweaty afternoon.’
- ‘The level of humidity found in this part of the US at this time of year has to be a sweaty and debilitating factor.’
- ‘All over the vet's black rubber table top there were little sweaty paw prints.’
- ‘It makes you hot, sweaty, thirsty and uncomfortable and too much of it gives you cancer.’
- ‘Inside a studio large enough to house a couple of jumbo jets, a reconstruction of a tiny, sweaty club has been built.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.