One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loose, warm sweater, typically made of cotton, worn when exercising or as leisurewear.
- ‘Young people like jeans and sweatshirts with American slogans or logos.’
- ‘She pulled out a drawer, picking out a few shirts and sweatshirts that she would like to take when she was away.’
- ‘They wore old flannel shirts, and sweatshirts that hung over ripped jeans.’
- ‘I packed everything from sweatshirts to bikinis to thongs to sneakers.’
- ‘So there was everyone looking like goddam snowmen wearing scarf three sweatshirts, gloves, and beanies.’
- ‘His denim jeans were well-worn but clean and he was wearing a plain, blue cotton jacket over a maroon sweatshirt.’
- ‘The other two guys, Sean and Brandon, were dressed in jeans and sweatshirts.’
- ‘What about the people who wear hooded sweatshirts because they keep you warm and cover your head from the rain?’
- ‘The zip-front styles make them more adaptable than sweatshirts and the material is warmer than a cardigan.’
- ‘People in Devonshire don't walk around wearing jeans and sweatshirts during the dog days of summer.’
- ‘We were desperate to emulate our heroes in Bulgaria and Russia, so we ripped our ballet tights and wore our sweatshirts inside out.’
- ‘The spirit of the Italian delegation, in their yellow caps and sweatshirts and their chants about Genoa, was completely different.’
- ‘Right now he was wearing a Rancid sweatshirt with dark blue jeans and a black hat.’
- ‘Gazing at the various NYC baseball caps and sweatshirts, I felt rather queasy.’
- ‘They were wearing dark tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirts.’
- ‘Theo walked over to her with a sweatshirt and sweatpants and took the picture.’
- ‘We had decided to remain in our pajamas and dress warmly using sweatshirts and scarves.’
- ‘She is a typical teenager, dressed in dark clothing and a black sweatshirt complete with hood.’
- ‘For trading in my tank tops for sweatshirts, for taking the air conditioners out and putting the storm windows in.’
- ‘The donation consists of 30 kits for school and youth teams including shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, balls and bags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.