One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pen in which recently mustered sheep are held until they have cooled down enough for shearing.‘between the sweating pen and the wool-sorters are the shearers’
- ‘Penelope stood with arms folded watching a young native boy catch a bleating sheep out of a catching pen and shove it through a drop gate into a sweating pen.’
- ‘Sheep were crowded into a sweating pen the night before shearing.’
- ‘Another night something frightened them in the sweating-pen, and they piled upon each other and many were smothered.’
- ‘Each sheep farm has a shearing point which comprises a sweating pen and a shearer.’
- ‘Sheep manure should not be allowed to accumulate under the sweating pens, as so commonly occurs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.