Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A knitted garment worn on the upper body, typically with long sleeves, put on over the head.‘a close-knit wool sweater for icy weather’
- ‘The frequency with which wool and cashmere sweaters should be washed varies.’
- ‘Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.’
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘While gray suits are still all the rage, gray knits, shirts and sweaters are no longer as trendy.’
- ‘If wool yarn is used in any of the sweaters, the finished garment should be dry cleaned or gently hand washed.’
- ‘He wore handmade wool sweaters and long Mexican ponchos.’
- ‘The new procedures call for the removal of all outer garments, including sweaters and sweatshirts.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘Local men wore turbans, and shalwar kameez with wool vests or sweaters.’
- ‘Last I checked, there were more options in the closet than plunging necklines and bulky sweaters.’
- ‘They were twenty-somethings with short haircuts wearing black crewneck or turtle neck sweaters.’
- ‘For less formal moments, there are shirts and sweaters with coordinated gloves.’
- ‘The countryside was a major theme with rustic cord jodhpurs, pedal pushers with buttons at the knee, checked shirts and Aran sweaters.’
- ‘Short sleeves, chunky sweaters are part of this season's look.’
- ‘She concealed her arm beneath sweaters with sleeves that dangled loosely, even in sweltering weather.’
- ‘Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.’
- ‘Members of the cooperative spin and dye wool, knit sweaters, and also make ceramic crafts.’
- ‘Bulky wool sweaters, for example, will add undesired volume to your waist and chest.’
- ‘This includes everything from jeans and knit shirts to sweaters and sweats.’
- ‘A nice pair of jeans with a cashmere pullover sweater and a nice pair of shoes is a good look.’
2dated An employer who works employees hard in poor conditions for low pay.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.