Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A knitted garment worn on the upper body, typically with long sleeves, put on over the head.‘a close-knit wool sweater for icy weather’
- ‘Members of the cooperative spin and dye wool, knit sweaters, and also make ceramic crafts.’
- ‘She concealed her arm beneath sweaters with sleeves that dangled loosely, even in sweltering weather.’
- ‘Last I checked, there were more options in the closet than plunging necklines and bulky sweaters.’
- ‘Woolen sweaters, cardigans, mittens, and socks were knitted with elaborate patterns.’
- ‘Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.’
- ‘This includes everything from jeans and knit shirts to sweaters and sweats.’
- ‘They were twenty-somethings with short haircuts wearing black crewneck or turtle neck sweaters.’
- ‘The frequency with which wool and cashmere sweaters should be washed varies.’
- ‘The countryside was a major theme with rustic cord jodhpurs, pedal pushers with buttons at the knee, checked shirts and Aran sweaters.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘For less formal moments, there are shirts and sweaters with coordinated gloves.’
- ‘If wool yarn is used in any of the sweaters, the finished garment should be dry cleaned or gently hand washed.’
- ‘Short sleeves, chunky sweaters are part of this season's look.’
- ‘The new procedures call for the removal of all outer garments, including sweaters and sweatshirts.’
- ‘Bulky wool sweaters, for example, will add undesired volume to your waist and chest.’
- ‘Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.’
- ‘While gray suits are still all the rage, gray knits, shirts and sweaters are no longer as trendy.’
- ‘A nice pair of jeans with a cashmere pullover sweater and a nice pair of shoes is a good look.’
- ‘He wore handmade wool sweaters and long Mexican ponchos.’
- ‘Local men wore turbans, and shalwar kameez with wool vests or sweaters.’
2dated An employer who works employees hard in poor conditions for low pay.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.